Wednesday 20 May 2009

My Welsh Blogosphere - Uncle Wilco

I am Welsh and live in Wales and work in Wales, but I don't blog about Wales.

By day I am a grumpy, disillusioned web developer for a Welsh media company, who likes a pint of real ale.

At night I turn into the shedmaster, full of shed-based goodness and real ale. Ok, it's not that simple, but you get the idea.

In terms of the state of the Welsh Blogosphere, I actively read a lot of blogs daily. Some are Welsh, the majority are not (tech, photo, beer and weird are the ones loaded on igoggle) so don’t really have a strong view. As long as more people are blogging and getting their ideas out there then it’s all well with me.

Not being a particularly political animal (more left behind then left wing) I may not read a lot of the blogs mentioned here on welshbloggers.co.uk , but hopefully Dave will get more diverse ones as the momentum picks up. But the idea of a central point for these blogs with a Welsh edge and the potential for meeting up for a pint is a great one.

I have been running readersheds.co.uk for eight years (I promise to redesign and redevelop it every year but don’t find the time. 2010 will be that year!) But I only started seriously blogging about sheds at http://www.shedblog.co.uk about three years ago.

You would think that writing a niche blog about garden erections would not provide enough content for a weekly post, but on a good week I can get about 15 posts done and of course the community of sheddies do most of the work with their great sheds and odd news.

It's manic at the moment as I am promoting National Shed Week and Shed of the Year - something I created on the back of readersheds. It's in its third year now, but has grown and grown into a monster I can't control. I am sure people think it's part of a badly run media empire instead of something I devised in my shed and run on my own as a 5-to-9 venture.

But I managed to get lots of offline and online coverage, which helps with the traffic and spreading the word of the shed.

I am sure people are all sheddies at heart, or want to have a shed where they can work in, blog from, relax and drink in or just store their garden tools - that's why the site and the blog are successful.

(Written by Uncle Wilco who blogs daily at shedblog.co.uk and weekly on andrewwilcox.net. You can also catch his twitters here)

This is the eleventh in a series of posts giving a chance for Welsh bloggers to have their say on the state of the blogosphere and where it's going. If you're interested in contributing place feel free to contact me at welshbloggers@gmail.com

No response to “My Welsh Blogosphere - Uncle Wilco”

Leave a reply

Comments are welcome and encouraged. Please make sure to keep comments relevant to the blog post (this applies to any links that may be included).

Rude, wasteful, off-topic are discouraged but will not be deleted. If you want to make yourself look like an idiot you're very much welcome to.

Comments are open and unmoderated (unless you are commenting on an article over 5 days old), and do not necessarily reflect the views of Welsh Bloggers In The Pub.

 
© 2009 Welsh Bloggers. All Rights Reserved | Powered by Blogger
Design by psdvibe | Bloggerized By LawnyDesignz